The skin around the eye is extremely sensitive, and allergies, lack of sleep, bacteria, crying, and any other factors can cause the eyes swelling then you should know how to reduce swollen eyes. It is a common thing to treat your puffy eyes with natural remedies or eye cream from drugstores to reduce or get rid swollen eyes. However, if the swelling did not get any better then you should consult a doctor as soon as possible to find out the reason of your swollen eyes and how to treat it properly. As for today, we would like to give you some tips how to reduce swollen eyes using home remedies and over-the-counter medicines.
How to Reduce Swollen Eyes Steps
Here are the tips which you can try yourself at home such as:
- Cold metal spoons: Use two metal spoons and keep them in the refrigerator to make it chill, after that place the metal spoons over the eyes to compress the swollen eyes. The back of the spoons which already cold should help to reduce the puffy eyes.
- Frozen bag of vegetables: Colder will help to reduce the swelling, you can put two slices of cucumber on closed eyelids or alternatively just use a frozen bag of vegetables to compress the swollen eyes. The coldness will help to promote lymphatic drainage and shrink capillaries.
- Caffeine: You can use two tea bags which contain properties to reduce puffiness. The tannin contained in tea help to reduce inflammation while caffeine which also contained in tea restricts blood flow. Soak tea bags in water and place them over the eyes for few minutes, and you will see that the swelling is getting smaller bit by bit. Chamomile tea believed to work best for such thing.
- Witch Hazel: Purchase a bottle of witch hazel and then keep it in the refrigerator to make its contents are cold, soak a clean towel in the witch hazel and use this to compress the swollen eyes by place the cloth over the eyes. Wait until few minutes before you wash your face with water and make sure that the witch hazel does not get into your eyes because it will irritate them.
- Essential oils: Boil one cup of water and then add one drop of lemon essential oil and one drop of lavender essential oil. Let the water cool a bit before you dip cloth water and use it to compress the swollen lids. Make sure the oils do not get into your eyes.
- Hemorrhoid Cream: According to Dr. Lawrence Gibson of Mayo Clinic, this cream believed can reduce the swelling on the eye, but he also warned that the hemorrhoid cream might give some irritation on eye skin. That’s why, you may successfully reduce the puffy eyes, but you will end up with redness around the eye You need to ask the doctor for more information before you use it.
- Nose Spray: Buy a bottle of Afrin nose spray at the drugstore and use cotton balls to dab your swollen lids with this spray. Afrin contains oxymetazoline that helps to reduce the puffiness and in your nostril too.
To prevent swollen eyes, it is better to sleep by keeping your head elevated above your body with a pillow. It will prevent the fluid accumulate in the eye are when you sleep. In addition, you should sleep on your back as much as possible.
What should you do when above tips did not work? Well, the last solution is to go to the doctor to get other recommendation such as antibiotic eye drop or cream. Hope this will help you to deal with the swollen eyes and puffiness.